Scientist Medicinal Chemistry
Our partner is an innovative scale-up in the Biotech industry.
We are looking for an Associate Scientist who is responsible for the medicinal chemistry aspects of our main drug discovery project and will be driving the development of novel drug discovery programs. He/she is able to design molecules, their synthesis pathways and quality control and is able to
generate and interpret relevant DMPK data, all mostly by means of interactions with CROs.
The candidate is experienced in using this data to iteratively design better molecules, solve DMPK issues and generally steer compound development programs towards success. He/she excels in working in a structured way, can manage and organize large amounts of data in ways that ensure IP protection, smooth information exchange and gaining high-level overviews and is comfortable with presenting medicinal chemistry information to multi-disciplinary teams.
He/she has experience in drug discovery programs, preferably in a commercial setting.
The successful candidate has a strong self-drive and is able to set and plan tight timelines and budgets. Experience in the very early steps of the discovery pipeline, i.e. assay development and high-throughput screening is considered a pre.
- The driving force behind development of chemical matter in drug discovery programs, maintaining the overview and actively interacting with all contributors to that project
- Responsible for initiating and managing a wide array of DMPK activities and in vitro and in vivo validation efforts
- Engage with Contract Research Organizations (CRO’s) to setup research projects and monitor and manage their work, analyze the results and propose next steps
- Combines expert chemical, biological and technical knowledge and research expertise that can be leveraged to drive existing projects, but can also initiate novel research avenues
- Generate regular reports on project progress, including timelines and budget implications in case of project deviations
- Generation of figures, slide decks and reports for internal and external use
- PhD in relevant subject with 3+ years postdoctoral experience in a research environment
- Extensive expertise in one or several of the following areas: biochemistry and medicinal chemistry, DMPK, animal modelling, HTS campaigns
- 3+ years of experience in Biotech/Pharma or related commercial environment
- Broad understanding of cellular disease mechanisms
- Proven track record of success and creativity, for instance having high impact first author publication(s) and/or patent(s)
- Experience with the outsourcing of research activities is an advantage as is knowledge and experience with protecting IP surrounding small molecule programs
- Considerable tenacity, energy and drive, self-motivated and capable of setting his/her own targets
- Excellent analytical and data management skills combined with a creative problem-solving mindset
- Attention for detail and high experimental and scientific standards
- Broad interest and flexibility to work on diverse biological topics relevant to human disease
- Affinity to work in a start-up, which means being flexible, being able to deal with uncertainty and work and thrive in a highly dynamic environment
- Team player with excellent interpersonal and communication skills with great command of English, written and spoken, Dutch not required
- Excellent time management skills
- Employment for 32-40 hours/week
- A stimulating environment with the opportunity to be part of an enthusiastic team that together is building the company from the ground up
- The possibility to contribute to the development of novel therapeutic products for patients
- A competitive remuneration package, including sharing in the success of the company, and attention for personal development